On 07.04.13 00:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
See also the discussion at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ideas/15640 . I agree with
rejection. This is an implementation detail and different Python
implementations (including future CPython versions) can have different
internal string implementations.

I really don't see why this means that there can't be a function in
sys, or something. I mean, other Pythons aren't expected to return the
exact same values from sys.getsizeof, are they? But clearly the weight
of opinion is against me, so fine, I don't care that much.

The most strong argument for adding this feature in stdlib is that it has O(1) complexity against of O(N) complexity of any manual implementation. But this argument is not valid for other implementations.