On Apr 21, 11:36 pm, Rui Maciel <rui.mac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > It's only easy to install a package on Ubuntu if you know that you have
> > to, and can somehow work out the name of the package.
>
> No one actually has to install tkinter.  That's the whole point of providing
> it as a separate package: only those who want to use it have to install it.
> The rest of us don't.

I'm a programmer, I installed Tkinter, and use it. I'd like to deploy
programs
written with it to others.  **Those** people know nothing about it,
and
**shouldn't have to**. I've given them a program in Python, they have
Python,
but it doesn't run, and doesn't give them a helpful error. They'll
probably
just blame me and move on.  Not every Python user is a programmer.  If
I write
a program in Java, any user with Java installed can run it.  As it
stands,
that's no true for Python.  That's not good PR for the cause.