On May 7, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Martijn Lievaart <m...@rtij.nl.invlalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 May 2013 17:07:41 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:
>
>> There *are* programming languages worse than PHP.  Have you ever tried
>> britescript?
>
> Have you tried MUMPS? :-)
>
> M4

Which one?  The original MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility
Multi-Programming System), or the one that came out of Europe in the '90s and
stole the MUMPS name (MUltifrontal Massively Parallel sparse direct Solver)?

I used both the original and its baby brother FOCAL which, considering that
they ran on DEC PDP-7 (MUMPS) and DEC PDP-8 (FOCAL) systems with as little as
4k words of 18-bit memory on the PDP-7 and 8-bit memory on the PDP-8 is pretty
spectacular.  They should be forgiven for a somewhat constrained list of key
words and operations.

-Bill