Am 22.05.2013 17:32, schrieb Charles Smith:
I'd like to subclass from unittest.TestCase.  I observed something
interesting and wonder if anyone can explain what's going on... some
subclasses create  null tests.

I can perhaps guess what's going on, though Terry is right: Your question isn't very helpful and informative.

I can create this subclass and the test works:

   class StdTestCase (unittest.TestCase):
       blahblah

and I can create this subsubclass and the test works:

   class aaaTestCase (StdTestCase):
       moreblahblah

but if I create this subsubclass (or any where the first letter is
capital):

   class AaaTestCase (StdTestCase):
       differentblahblah

the test completes immediately without any work being done.

Well, per PEP 8, classes use CamelCaps, so your naming might break automatic test discovery. Then, there might be another thing that could cause this, and that is that if you have an intermediate class derived from unittest.TestCase, that class on its own will be considered as test case! If this is not what you want but you still want common functionality in a baseclass, create a mixin and then derive from both the mixin and unittest.TestCase for the actual test cases.

Good luck!

Uli