On 26.05.2013 22:48, Roy Smith wrote:
In article <mailman.2197.1369600623.3114.python-l...@python.org>,
  Chris Rebert <c...@rebertia.com> wrote:

On May 23, 2013 3:42 AM, "Schneider" <j...@globe.de> wrote:
Hi list,

how can I serialize a python class to XML? Plus a way to get the class
back from the XML?

There's pyxser: http://pythonhosted.org/pyxser/

My aim is to store instances of this class in a database.
Honestly, I would avoid XML if you can. Consider using JSON (Python
includes the `json` module in the std lib) or pickle instead. Compared to
XML: The former is more standardized (in the context of serializing
objects) and less verbose; the latter is more efficient (if you don't care
about cross-language accessibility); both have more convenient APIs.
Some other points...

If you care about efficiency and want to use json, don't use the one
that comes packaged with the standard library.  There are lots of
third-party json packages (ujson is the one we use) which are
significantly faster.  Not sure if that's true of the newest python
releases, but it was certainly true in 2.6.

I think performance can be a problem in future. This question is part of a multi-user rss-reader solution, which I'm going to develop.

I want to store the feed entries (+ some additional data) as XML in a database.

The advantage of pickle over json is that pickle can serialize many
types of objects that json can't.  The other side of the coin is that
pickle is python-specific, so if you think you'll ever need to read your
data from other languages, pickle is right out.

--
GLOBE Development GmbH
Königsberger Strasse 260