> I share your passion for empowering a human operator to complete and
> submit a form as quickly as possible. I therefore agree that one
> should be able to complete a form using the keyboard only.

This is not just about "forms", it's about using the entire application
without having to use the mouse, ever.

> Do you have strong views on which is the preferred approach.

Use a decent database RAD desktop (non-web) GUI application framework
which uses client-side application logics. "Validation" of input will
then be essentially instantaneous. Unless you run the client on that
pathological non-operating system MS (Not Responding), obviously. I've
posted a corresponding list of frameworks available for Python multiple
times already on this group:

using PyQt (& Sqlalchemy):
Qtalchemy: www.qtalchemy.org
Camelot: www.python-camelot.com
Pypapi: www.pypapi.org

using PyGTK:
Sqlkit: sqlkit.argolinux.org (also uses Sqlalchemy)
Kiwi: www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi

using wxPython:
Gui2Py: code.google.com/p/gui2py/
Dabo: www.dabodev.com
Defis: sourceforge.net/projects/defis (Russian only)
GNUe: www.gnuenterprise.org

Server-roundtrips required for simple user interaction are an absolute
non-starter for productivity applications. No matter whether in a LAN
or WAN. If you want a responsive application you have to de-centralise
as much as possible. Perfect solution would be if Bettina Kemme's
Postgres-R was available for production use, then even the persistence
could run locally on the client with asynchronous replication of
all clients ("peer to peer").

Sincerely,

Wolfgang