On 22/06/2013 02:40, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:
Thinking about this, I think that the only safe thing to do in Rickython
4000 is to prohibit putting mutable objects inside tuples. Putting a list
or a dict inside a tuple is just a bug waiting to happen!

I think you're onto something here, but you really haven't gone far
enough. Mutable objects *anywhere* are a problem. The solution?
Abolish mutable objects. Strings (bytes and Unicode), integers,
decimals (floats are a problem to many people), tuples of the above,
and dictionaries mapping any of the above to any other of the above,
should be enough to do everything.

Pure functional languages don't have mutables, or even variables, but
then we're not talking about a pure functional language, we're talking
about Python.