On 26.06.2013 16:28, William Ray Wing wrote:
On Jun 26, 2013, at 7:49 AM, Fábio Santos <fabiosantos...@gmail.com
<mailto:fabiosantos...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On 26 Jun 2013 11:45, <jim...@aol.com <mailto:jim...@aol.com>> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:30:54 PM UTC+5:30, Ian wrote:
> > In my experience the sorts of people who preach "one exit point" are
> > also all about defining preconditions and postconditions and proving
> > that the postconditions follow from the preconditions.  I think that
> > the two are linked, because the "one exit point" rule makes those
> > sorts of proofs simpler.
>
> Ah! utopia!
>
> For every one who knows about pre/post/invariant conditions, there
are 10 who follow goto-statement-is-harmful like a religious edict.

> I just checked and MISRA-C 2012 now allows gotos in specific,
limited circumstances.  I think it was the MISRA-C 1998 standard that
caused all this trouble.  So if MISRA now allows goto, why not
Python????  :)

What is the matter? Just use the goto module...

Wondered when that would be mentioned.

Personally, I've never found that much use for GoTo, but as old timers
know, that same module adds the Come_From entry point, which is
priceless.  ;-)

Bill

Actually, jumping to any place a program (I know it from QBasic :) ) is some kind of voodoo.

At first it seems that any function calling itself or calling another function from another function solves the "goto" puzzle - called OO programming, objects in space and inheritance?

But at 2nd glimpse, jumping in any place of code (function) or routine, at a given place precisely - and to avoid any checks and unrelated code which might occur on a regular function call and without the need to provide additional arguments - that's kinda cool (if variables are in scope by the target statements :) )

That's somehow how I remember it.

But I guess if everything should run as in a factory, one entrance, one component, one result and independently from each other (isolated) and on many cores and such, a goto without argument passing or state variables might just end up in a big mess.

What do you think?