On 07/01/2013 05:16 PM, rusi wrote:
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:32:44 AM UTC+5:30, Dave Angel wrote:
   <SNIP>

Yes in this specific instance all this is probably true.
I believe however, that Joel's intent in reposting this is more global (and
important) in its scope, viz:

If this list persists in the current unhealthy state which it is experiencing,
authentic noob questions will get buried in mountains of bullshit.

Note: I find Joshua's answer fine given the question.

If the OP has abandoned it, so should we.

If you were a noob-OP who asked that question and the result unfolded as it
has, what would you do?

Point well-taken. So I'll see what I can do here. I'll put comments on lines I had to add or change.

finale_line = []    #missing initialization
lot_number = 99

number_drawn=()
def load(lot_number,number_drawn):
    first=input("enter first lot: ")
    last=input("enter last lot: ")
    for lot_number in range(first,last):
        line_out=str(lot_number)
        for count in range(1,5):
            number_drawn=raw_input("number: ")
            line_out=line_out+(number_drawn)
        print line_out
        finale_line.append(line_out)

#finale_line2=finale_line     #not referenced

load(lot_number,number_drawn)

print finale_line
print(" "*4),
for n in range(1,41):
    print n,          #this is to produce a line of numbers to
                      #compare to output#
for a in finale_line:
    print"\n",
    print a[0]," ",
    space_count=1
    for b in range(1,5):
        if int(a[b])<10:
             print(" "*(int(a[b])-space_count)),int(a[b]),
             space_count=int(a[b])
        else:
            pass
            #print(" "*(a[b]-space_count)),a[b],   #dead code
            #space_count=a[b]+1                    #dead code

Since all the numbers are butted together in the string line_out, the later logic is iterating over digits, which cannot be bigger than 9. So the else clause is nonsensical. Even if they were to run, they'd give runtime errors.

> #as you can see many numbers are between the lines of a normal print#
> #I thought this was due to "white space" int he format .So I tried a > list
> of strings and got the same results.#

No clue what that means. What numbers are between what lines? And what is a normal print?

Presumably the intent was to somehow do a variable spacing of those digits.

--
DaveA