On 07/05/2013 04:44 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
????? Gr33k <ni...@superhost.gr> wrote:

Is there a way to extract out of some environmental variable the Geo
location of the user being the city the user visits out website from?

Perhaps by utilizing his originated ip address?

It is possible to look up the geographic region associated with a block of
IP addresses.  That does not necessarily bear any resemblence to the actual
location of the user.  It tells you the location of the Internet provider
that registered the IP addresses.

To be more specific, the last time I checked, my IP address is registered to a location over 1000 miles away. And it's not a dedicated IP address, so it could very well be used tomorrow by someone 200 nmiles the other side of the registered location.

Further, I sometimes use other ISP's with different addresses, even when I don't leave the house. And once I leave, anything's possible.

The only things that travel with me and my machine are the cookies. So if someone has asked me my location, and if I told the truth, then that information could remain available till I flush my cookies or change Virtual Machines or even browsers.

--
DaveA