On 07/08/2013 05:49 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:
But Unicode has nothing to do with Guido, and it has existed for about 25
years (if I recall correctly).

Depends how you measure. According to [1], the work kinda began back
then (25 years ago being 1988), but it wasn't till 1991/92 that the
spec was published. Also, the full Unicode range with multiple planes
came about in 1996, with Unicode 2.0, so that could also be considered
the beginning of Unicode. But that still means it's nearly old enough
to drink, so programmers ought to be aware of it.

Well, then I'm glad I stuck the qualifier on it. I remember where I was working, and that company folded in 1992. I was working on NT long before its official release in 1993, and it used Unicode, even if the spec was sliding along. I'm sure I got unofficial versions of things through Microsoft, at the time.

--
DaveA