On 9/12/13 2:24 PM, Markus Rother wrote:
On 10.09.2013 08:09, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
What design mistakes, traps or gotchas do you think Python has? Gotchas
are not necessarily a bad thing, there may be good reasons for it, but
they're surprising.
I have one more:

Dictionaries should iterate over their items instead of their keys.

I understand the natural desire for this, and I sometimes forget and have to add a ".items()" to my loops. But if you consider how "in" should work with dicts, it's only reasonable that "k in d" examine if a key is in a dict, not if an item is in a dict. And once you have "in" working like that, it's reasonable for iteration to work on keys.

Dicts act like collections of keys, each with an associated value.

--Ned.
Looking forward to contrary opinions.

Greets,
Markus