On 10/16/13 8:13 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:
Who uses "object abstraction" in C?  No one.  That's why C++ was invented.
If not, Linux, how about Python?

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e2a411a429d6/Objects
Or huge slabs of the OS/2 Presentation Manager, which is entirely
object oriented and mostly C. It's done with SOM, so it's possible to
subclass someone else's object using a completely different language.
Now this is the first real objection to my statement: OS/2 and the
Presentation Manager, or windowing system.

But, here it is significant that the user /consumer (i.e. *at the
workstation* mind you) is *making* the "object" because thier visual
system turns it into one.  Otherwise, at the C-level, I'm guessing
it's normal C code without objects, only struct-ured data.  That is,
you don't get all the OOP benefits like inheritance, polymorphism and
encapsulation.  C can do 2 of those, albeit kludgingly, but not all
three.  And without all three, it's not at all well-established that
you're doing real OOP.

Mark, it's clear you're passionate about computer science, but with all due respect, you need to learn more about it. "Real OOP" is a misnomer: every language brings its own style of OOP, none more legitimate than any other. And your earlier idea that punched cards didn't have tokens is wildly ignorant of the state of software and languages 50 years ago.

--Ned.