On 10/28/13 7:53 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
Virtualenvs aren't built to be moved from one Python installation to
another.  If you used pip to install your packages (you should), then you
can activate the virtualenv, and run: $ pip freeze > requirements.txt

Then you can create a new virtualenv using the new Python executable,
activate it, and:  $ pip install -r requirements.txt

This will reinstall all the packages you had installed previously. Even
better is to maintain your own requirements.txt that has just the packages
you need.  The "pip freeze" technique will also list packages installed as
dependencies.
Hmmm... And my git repo?
Usually the virtualenv is outside the git repo (and vice-versa), but git repos are also easy to recreate from the git server if you need to. Maybe I don't understand what you mean?

I imagine I will eventually figure this out,
but updating an existing virtualenv in place to adapt to a new version
of Python (say, a new micro) or some of its libraries (contents of
requirements.txt) seems like it would be a very nice thing to have.

"pip install --upgrade" will upgrade your Python packages. "pip install -r requirements.txt" will install new packages or versions named in the requirements.txt file.

Skip

--Ned.