"E.D.G." <edgrs...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:udgdnadga6n9vu_pnz2dnuvz_umdn...@earthlink.com...

Thanks for all of the comments. I have been away from my Internet connection for several days and could not respond to them when they were first posted here.

The comments have all been considered. And I am discussing them with other researchers that I work with. Since Perl has a calculation speed limit that is probably not easy to get around, before too long another language will be selected for initially doing certain things such as performing calculations and plotting charts. And the existing Perl code might then be gradually translated into that new language.

Gnuplot is presently being used to draw charts. And it works. But it has its own limitations such as with its interaction speed when it is used for working with Perl program generated data files.

My main, complex programs won't be run at Web sites. They will instead continue to be available as downloadable exe programs. The CGI (or whatever) programming work would involve relatively simple programs. But they would need to be able to generate charts that would be displayed on Web pages. That sounds like it is probably fairly easy to do using Python. A Perl - Gnuplot combination is also supposed to be able to do that. But so far I have not seen any good explanations for how to actually get Gnuplot to run as a callable CGI program. So other programs such as Python are being considered.