On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 06:44:05 -0800, JL wrote:

> I am actually running python on raspberry pi. The trigger event is a
> button-press.
>
> On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:56:03 PM UTC+8, Dave Angel wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 01:41:58 -0800 (PST), JL <lightai...@gmail.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > - If the event happens again before the 5secs expire, the high
>>
>> duration will be extended by another 5 secs. This works like a
>>
>> retriggerable multivibrator for those who are into electronics.
>>

>> More precisely a retriggerable monostable multivibrator.
>>

>> The question makes little sense unless you're running in an event
>>
>> driven environment, such as a gui. Name the environment and somebody
>>
>> can probably help.
>>

>> --
>>
>> DaveA

How critical is the output pulse time?
is it a state that can be polled to regularly & changed if the timeout
has been exceeded or does it need to switch in the background?

if you need to trigger & switch in the background you will probably need
to start playing with threads or multiprocessing.

greater detail on what you are trying to achieve project wise may assist
here