Everyone complaining about Eclipse in this thread needs to go try 3.1.
The interface is much much much more responsive.

Also, everyone keeps discussing Eclipse as something that gives Java a
leg up on Python. *Ahem* PyDev :) Which you should also give another try
if you haven't in a few versions. Easiest way to get a GUI debugger for
python.

My only misgiving with Eclipse now is that I think development of
plugins for it is always going to be slower than for Emacs and other
editors because they have to be written in Java.