On 20/11/2013 19:34, Kay Y. Jheallee wrote:
Ah, that looks like just the puppy I'm looking for. :)
Okay then, I just installed the PortableApps version of Python,
but when I downloaded "mpmath-0.17.win32" the installer aborted with "No
Python installation found in the registry".
So I'm trying to install "setuptools 1.4" (and do it that way) at

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools/1.4

but where is the "Download" link ("Downloads" just shifts down to the
page section)?  I'm just looking for the ".zip" file version (if one
exists), not ".tar.gz".

Yes, unfortunately you seem to have hit the "sour spot" of installation: Windows with a Portable Python.

I note that the setuptools page has a .whl, which is the brand new Python binary installer. Although designed to be installed with tool support, it is in fact a .zip file which you should be able to unpack into c:\python<xy>\lib\site-packages. It might be worth a try.

Please feel to come back for more help if needs be: you've hit an unfortunately bumpy patch in the Python experience and I'd prefer to smooth things out for you than have to turn away in disgust :)

TJG