On 12/12/2013 13:52, Ned Batchelder wrote:

I'd be glad to have an extended conversation with you offline if you
don't want to get into details here.

Would you please to kind enough to keep it online, I enjoy a good comedian and our erstwhile unicode expert is one of the best, if not the best, in this field.

If you do take it offline would you please ask him to stop sending via google groups, or to take appropriate action to stop the extremely annoying double spacing.

Yes, the Windows console and Python don't get along well with Unicode.
This is a long-standing ticket: http://bugs.python.org/issue1602  I'm
sure they would welcome your contribution towards a solution.  When I
use Windows, I often wish this were solved.

There's also http://bugs.python.org/issue14170 and http://bugs.python.org/issue15809 amongst others. Contributing towards a solution is a simple thing to do. Finding a solution isn't as simple see e.g. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/dev/731701

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence