On 13/12/2013 09:43, Peter Otten wrote:
Shyam Parimal Katti wrote:

Hello,

I have a list of sql queries, some which are split across multiple list
elements e.x.
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1 int);',
'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']

A semi-colon in the string value  indicates the termination of a sql
query. So the expected out come is a conversion to a list of valid sql
queries:
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);',
'select col1 from sample_test;']

Here is the code that does that:

sample = ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1
int);', 'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']
pure_sqls = []
query_holder= ''
for each_line in sample:
     query_holder += each_line
     if query_holder.endswith(';'):
         pure_sqls.append(query_holder)
         query_holder = ''

Is there a way to do this by eliminating explicit creation of new
list(pure_sqls) and a temporary variable(query_holder)? Using list
comprehension? Though I don't want to put the shorter version in
production(if it is difficult to understand), I am looking if this can be
done with list comprehension since I am trying to learn list comprehension
by using it in such scenarios.

Yours is the sane approach, but it may be fun to try to understand the
following evil hacks ;)

[sql.replace("\0", " ") + ";" for sql in "\0".join(sample +
[""]).split(";\0") if sql]
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);', 'select
col1 from  sample_test;']

from itertools import groupby
def key(x, group=[0]):
...     try:
...             return group[0]
...     finally:
...             group[0] += x.endswith(";")
[" ".join(group) for _, group in groupby(sample, key)]
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);', 'select
col1 from  sample_test;']

Evil? Bring back the death penalty for code like the above, that's what I say :)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence