On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:41:00 +1300, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
But it's not above inferring a dereferencing
operation when you call a function via a
pointer. If f is a pointer to a function,
then

    f(a)

is equivalent to

    (*f)(a)

If the compiler can do that for function calls,
there's no reason it couldn't do it for member
access as well.

Quite right. And I recall being confounded by the function pointer syntax; it never fit in my mental model of how the rest of C worked.

Anyway I was not intending to defend C choices, merely to point out an advantage this choice gave me. On a language without garbage collection, the indirection was very important to keep in mind.

--
DaveA