On 12/21/2013 01:17 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> GW-BASIC is what you're describing. Q-BASIC isn't the same as
> QuickBasic, though. Q-BASIC had subs and functions and stuff, but it
> was still, at its heart, BASIC. And you could DIM something with a
> type, but normally it was the adorning suffix that determined type: A$
> is a string, A% is an integer, A! (or A) is float, A# is double.

Yes you could use suffixes if you wanted to on QuickBasic and QBasic.

QBasic actually was the same language as QuickBasic, just that it was an
interpreter only, not a compiler.  The language itself was identical (to
ver 4.5 if I recall correctly).  If you want a trip down memory lane,
download qb64[1] for your chosen platform and have fun.  qb64 is
actually a full-blown compiler that implements almost all of the
QuickBasic/QBasic language with an integrated IDE that is a
re-implementation of the good old DOS one that was in QBasic and QuickBasic.

[1] http://qb64.net