On 12/25/13 11:17 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
Kevin started this thread by asking a question.  Chris responded without
helping the OP, and talked about Google Groups instead.  That's not good.

The only reason I didn't directly help the OP was because the code was
misformatted and it was necessary to request that it be reposted.
Perhaps I should have been clearer in saying "Please repost your code
with correct formatting", but there wasn't much else I could have
done.

In this case, the OP provided an error message which showed that he wasn't getting a SyntaxError, so we could assume that the problem lay elsewhere. It depends how much work you want to put into overlooking the mis-formatting of the code.

Or maybe I should have just filtered everything from Google Groups
into the bit bucket, because responding just creates threads like
this. Do you honestly think that would be better? No response at all
if the post comes from GG?

If *you* don't want to respond to any GG post, that will be fine: others will respond. Even better is to respond to the posts to help the OP.

ChrisA