On 31/12/2013 15:41, Roy Smith wrote:
In article <mailman.4753.1388499265.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
  Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python <at> pearwood.info> writes:

I expect that as excuses for not migrating get fewer, and the deadline for
Python 2.7 end-of-life starts to loom closer, more and more haters^W
Concerned People will whine about the lack of version 2.8 and ask for
*somebody else* to fork Python.

I find it, hmmm, interesting, that so many of these Concerned People who say
that they're worried about splitting the Python community[1] end up
suggesting that we *split the community* into those who have moved forward
to Python 3 and those who won't.

Indeed. This would be extremely destructive (not to mention alienating the
people doing *actual* maintenance and enhancements on Python-and-its-stdlib,
of which at least 95% are committed to the original plan for 3.x to slowly
supercede 2.x).

Regards

Antoine.

I'm using 2.7 in production.  I realize that at some point we'll need to
upgrade to 3.x.  We'll keep putting that off as long as the "effort +
dependencies + risk" metric exceeds the "perceived added value" metric.

Do you use any of the features that were backported from 3.x to 2.7, or could you have stayed with 2.6 or an even older version?

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence