On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 AM, William Ray Wing <w...@mac.com> wrote:
> Two external disks.  One dedicated to TimeMachine for continuous backups of
> code as you write it, and one dedicated to either CarbonCopy Cloner or
> SuperDuper.  Whichever you choose, set it up to do once-a-week clones at say
> 2:00 AM Sunday.  Modern Mac's are just as hard to crash as any other modern
> UNIX-derived system, and Mac laptops continue to top Consumer Reports list of
> trouble-free systems, but ANY hardware can develop problems and it pays to be
> paranoid.

That's one option. I prefer to put anything that's even vaguely
important into a git repository, toss a remote clone of it onto one of
my servers, and commit and push every change. (And if it's important,
I'll clone that on another machine and pull, so I have a minimum of
three copies.) It's a bit more work, a bit more manual, but it gives
me versioning, backups, cryptographic hash checksums, notes ("Why the
bleep did you do that, Past-Me?!?"), and replication, all in one tidy
package. I don't know how much disk space you need for the two backup
systems you describe there, but the size of a full-history repository
isn't going to be huge, unless you're constantly editing big binary
files.

ChrisA