On 15/01/2014 17:14, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com> wrote:
I think about these as encodings, because that's what they are
mathematically, logically & practically. I can encode the target grapheme
sequence as a sequence of bytes using a particular 'unicode encoding' eg
utf8 or a sequence of code points.

By that definition, you can equally encode it as a bitmapped image, or
as a series of lines and arcs, and those are equally well "encodings"
of the character. This is not the normal use of that word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

ChrisA

Actually I didn't use the term 'character encoding', but that doesn't alter the argument. If I chose to embed the final graphemes as images encoded as bytes or lists of numbers that would still be still be an encoding; it just wouldn't be very easily usable (lots of typing).
--
Robin Becker