On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:24:48 +1000, "Jeff Melvaine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bengt,
>
>Thanks for your informative reply, further comments interleaved.

Can't reply fully now, but just had the thought that maybe some ideas
from 8-queens solvers might be useful or interesting. There is an old thread at

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/f88f301b7578705a

that explores various ways of solving it, and uses various representations of
the board,
including integer bit maps at the end, which turned out fastest IIRC. I'm sure
it can still
be improved upon, and I'm not sure it will be worth your while to dig into it,
unless you
think the problem fun, but there it is.

Regards,
Bengt Richter