The next adventure in Python was to install Python 3 into a Windows XP machine.
I had a previous 2.7 installation that I uninstalled and carefully removed all
traces of from the directory and the registry.

I got the 'python-3.3.3.msi' from Python.org and installed it. From a command
window I can run 'python' and I get the Python prompt. I have several Python
programs on the machine. If I right click o one, I have the option of 'Edit in
IDLE'. If I do that, the disk light blinks briefly, and then nothing. So I went
into the \python33\lib\idlelib directory and from a CMD window, ran 'python
idle.py'. That loads IDLE. but when I ask IDLE to load a file, it navigates to
a FileOpen dialog and then closes everything when I actually open the file. I
then tried the same thing but used 'pythonw' instead. Same deal.

I also saw some other threads here about how Python can get befuddled by
firewalls, so I disabled that with no effect.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Howard