On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 05:24:03 -0000, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

Code should look like its intent. Warping it around performance is
hardly ever worthwhile.

That depends. In Python, I'd agree with you; if I'm worrying about performance in Python, I'm worrying at the level of the algorithms I'm using. In a constrained embedded C environment, which is where I spend most of my working life, writing your code so that the compiler chooses the right optimisation is critical. Sometimes it matters a great deal to me that something like "x *= 5" compiles to a single ARM instruction, or that splitting a loop into two to avoid a conditional test will let an DSP's optimiser double the speed of a section of code.