Duncan Booth wrote:
Is there any reason why tuples need to throw an exception on assigning to the element if the old value and new value are the same object?

It would make introspection misleading, because tuples
would have a __setitem__ method event though they don't
actually support item assignment.

Also, it would solve the problem for tuples in particular,
but not for any other immutable type -- they would all
have to implement the same behaviour independently to
enjoy the benefit.

Here's another idea: If the __iadd__ method returns the
same object, *and* the LHS doesn't have a __setitem__
method, then do nothing instead of raising an exception.

Peter Otten wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
>   File "<stdin>", line 4, in __setitem__
> TypeError: 257 is not 257
>
> I'm not sure "help" is the right word here ;)

I don't think that's a problem, because the use case
being addressed is where the object performs in-place
modification and always returns itself. Any object that
doesn't return itself is not modifying in-place, even
if the returned object happens to be equal to the
original one.

--
Greg