On 3/22/2014 12:30 AM, Mark H Harris wrote:
On 3/21/14 11:15 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
It compounds. One reply makes for double spacing... two makes
quadruple, three means we have seven wasted lines between every pair
of real lines. That gets pretty annoying. And considering that most
people who reply without cleaning up the lines also keep the entire
quoted text (and usually top-post as well), this gets big fast.

Before Mark started asking people adjust to the foibles of gg, we used to get such posts. I refused to read them. I have not seen one lately, say maybe his nudging has had some positive effect.

    Yes, I can see that readily/  I get it, it just seems that fixing it
at the source (gg) is the answer;

I completely agree. However, Google seems immune to suggestions, including requests that it try to stop being a major source of spam posts.

> because there will always be someone
new to the list who is using gg because its part of their suite and
because its convenient (I mean, that's why I tried to use it).

If I were in charge of the software used for this list, I would replace Mark with a custom addition to return mis-formated posts (more blank lines than not) with instructions on how to fix them. But I am not.

--
Terry Jan Reedy