On 3/30/14 10:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
In 1991, there was no wireless, no mobile computing, hardly any public
Internet outside of the universities. It was before the Eternal
September, and only a few years after the Great Renaming.

   I was using arpanet since the late 1970s.

Python had just
been released for the first time, and Windows 3.1 hadn't been (although
3.0 had). There was no Netscape, no Mosaic graphical web browsers. Steve
Jobs hadn't returned to Apple yet, Apple was still losing money and mind-
share, and Google didn't even exist. It was a different era.

   Command line all the way babe... uuencode uudecode base64  whoohoo.

   ftp, and all the rest...

1991 is 23 years ago. In "computer years", I consider that almost eight
generations, about the same as 160 years in human terms.

Bologna, Oscar Meyer Bologna, USDA Prime. That's just plain silly. Yes, a lot of things have happened since 1991, but 1991 was yesterday; and in the big scheme of things, not much really has happened (oh, yeah, smaller and faster; Moores law moves forward, so what?) We're still using von Nuemann processors, we're still using all the same stupid programming tricks; the only thing that has changed is that computers use a fraction of the power they did, they are very tiny, and they are very fast. so what? We have unicode! yeahhhh. ASCII is dead. Microsoft is dying. Gun/Linux rules. I still program in BASIC at least once a week, and we all still have trouble communicating around the globe.

I didn't really start using unicode
until about 5 years ago; python has only really used it since python3.
right?

No. Python 2.2 introduced Unicode.

I didn't ask when it was introduced, I asked when it became useful? Python was experimenting with unicode in version 2. It became more fully useful in version 3. I didn't use it in version 2--- way too frustrating.

Unicode in python3.x is (mostly) working correctly. Congratulations to all who worked on it, hat is off. The problem with unicode is that it is just a specification. The consortium cannot force or code anything. They control the scripts and make the specifications. It is left to *everyone* else to implement. And not everyone is taking on that task with the same gusto, if you follow my meaning.

marcus