On 03/04/2014 23:41, Ian Kelly wrote:
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
On 03/04/2014 18:54, Ian Kelly wrote:

On Apr 3, 2014 11:12 AM, "Walter Hurry" <walterhu...@gmail.com
<mailto:walterhu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

  > Normally my Python development is done on FreeBSD and Linux. I know
that on *ix I simply have to make foo.py executable (the shebang line is
present, of course) to make it runnable.

  > For my son's school assignment, I have to help him with Python for
Windows.

  > As I understand it, on Windows a .py file is not executable, so I
need to run 'python foo py', or use a .pyw file.

  > Question 1: Do I make a .pyw file simply by copying or renaming
foo.py to foo.pyw?

Yes. The only distinction between .py and .pyw is that the Python
installer associates the former with Python.exe and the latter with
Pythonw.exe. Pythonw runs the script without creating a console window
for stdin/stdout.

Not with more modern versions of Python.

c:\Users\Mark>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

c:\Users\Mark>ftype Python.File
Python.File="C:\Windows\py.exe" "%1" %*

Which ultimately calls some version of python.exe.

c:\Users\Mark>assoc .pyw
.pyw=Python.NoConFile

c:\Users\Mark>ftype Python.NoConFile
Python.NoConFile="C:\Windows\pyw.exe" "%1" %*

Which ultimately calls some version of pythonw.exe.

I elided that detail because it wasn't relevant to the question at hand.

Yes, I regretted how badly I worded the above the second I hit the send button.

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.