I've been using compiler.ast.flatten, but I have comments indicating it will
need be replaced if/when I move to Python 3.

I don't pollute my code base with flatten, I just call my own version in my
utility library that is currently redirecting to flatten.

flatten works equally well with tuples as lists and I'm going to remain
consistent with that. My version returns a tuple as well.

My love affair with the immutable, hashable, and wonderfully named tuple is
perhaps something that needs its own thread, or private room.