Am 14.04.2014 15:59, schrieb Peter Otten:

You could use json, but you may run into the same problem with that, too
(only later):

import json
items = []
for i in range(1000):
...     s = json.dumps(items)
...     items = [items]
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
   File "/usr/lib/python3.3/json/__init__.py", line 236, in dumps
     return _default_encoder.encode(obj)
   File "/usr/lib/python3.3/json/encoder.py", line 191, in encode
     chunks = self.iterencode(o, _one_shot=True)
   File "/usr/lib/python3.3/json/encoder.py", line 249, in iterencode
     return _iterencode(o, 0)
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while encoding a JSON object
995

The safest option is probably to serialize the original flist and slist, and
use them to create the tree on the fly.

Thank you very much for your efforts to help me.

I have yet a question out of curiosity: Why is my 2nd list structure,
that apparently is too complex for handling by eval and json, seemingly
not a problem for pickle?

M. K. Shen