On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Dave Angel <da...@davea.name> wrote:
> mikejohnrya...@gmail.com Wrote in message:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a Python tool or function that can register two images together
>> (line them up visually), and then crop them to the common overlap area?  I'm
>> assuming this can probably be done with Python Imaging Library but I'm not
>> very familiar with it yet.
>>
>> Any help or advice is appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Without some context I'd call the problem intractable.  I've done
>  such things using Photoshop to insert elements of one image into
>  another.  But even describing an algorithm is difficult,  never
>  mind trying to code it.

Well, fortunately there are known algorithms already:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_registration

> If I had such a challenge,  I'd probably use Pillow, but not till
>  I knew what subset I was solving.

I don't think Pillow has any support for registration.  I'd probably
start by looking for Python bindings of a library that does handle it,
like ITK.  Searching for "itk python" turns up a number of results.