On 5/7/14 8:35 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> writes:

Ben Finney <b...@benfinney.id.au>:

That's why I always try to say “Python doesn't have variables the way
you might know from many other languages”,

Please elaborate. To me, Python variables are like variables in all
programming languages I know.

Many established and still-popular languages have the following
behaviour::

     # pseudocode

     foo = [1, 2, 3]
     bar = foo          # bar gets the value [1, 2, 3]
     assert foo == bar  # succeeds
     foo[1] = "spam"    # foo is now == [1, "spam", 3]
     assert foo == bar  # FAILS, ‘bar’ == [1, 2, 3]

Can we make this concrete by speaking about a specific language? I don't recognize this. I thought we were concerned with beginners incorrectly thinking Python worked like C, but this is nothing like C.