On 2014-05-17 02:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2014 14:46:23 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

At least in the US, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as "placing a
work into the public domain".  The copyright holder can transfer
ownershipt to soembody else, but there is no "public domain" to which
ownership can be trasferred.

That's factually incorrect. In the US, sufficiently old works, or works
of a certain age that were not explicitly registered for copyright, are
in the public domain. Under a wide range of circumstances, works created
by the federal government go immediately into the public domain.

There is such a thing as the public domain in the US, and there are works in it, but there isn't really such a thing as "placing a work" there voluntarily, as Grant says. A work either is or isn't in the public domain. The author has no choice in the matter.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco