On 5/21/2014 12:42 PM, Nagy László Zsolt wrote:
I need to create an application for Windows 7 that runs from a flash
drive. This program would be used to create remote backups of the
pendrive. The pendrive contains sensitive data, so when I plug in the
pendrive and run the program to make a backup, it should not leave any
trace of operation on the windows system. The information is so
sensitive that I was forbidden to use cloud storage. I was also
forbidden to make backups to a local drive, or leave any trace on the
host windows system.

The question is this: if I create this program with Python 3.4 and
cx_Freeze, then what should I expect.

I know that Python can be compiled so that it runs without being installed, as from a usb plugin. I forget the name on pypi. I know nothing whether cx_Freeze works for that.

> When the user starts the
cx_freeze-d program from the flash drive, will it create temporary files
on the system drive? Will it leave log files or store any permanent or
temporary data on the system drive (maybe in the user's tmp folder) that
can later be used to tell what drive was mounted, with what parameters
the program was started etc.

I am really sure that *python* does not do anything like that, but do not bet your job on my say so. I believe it can run from a read-only directory or device. I don't know what *windows* might do that I do not know about.

--
Terry Jan Reedy