On 29/05/2014 21:11, Mark H Harris wrote:
The OP is looking for an "IDE-like" interactive environment, because he
is "uncomfortable" with IDLE.  IDLE is THE choice, however ---precisely
because IDLE is clean, elegant, and most importantly "simple". It is
simple to understand, and it is even simpler to use effectively... even
for novice pythonics. IDLE is straight-forward.

As Terry pointed out, IDLE is very useful and functional. And in the
modern python world is also very stable (IDLE used to get a black eye
because it had snags early-on).  Today IDLE works, has great features,
and actually helps new users get on-board with Python.

marcus

I'll point out (again?) that IDLE is improving all the time thanks to Terry & Co. This explains why http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0434/

Strangely I've been using Eclipse and Pydev since porting Java to Python some time ago, it really simplified the process. However I'd been thinking of changing and picked IDLE because it's there. Perfectly adequate for my current needs.

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.