On Sunday, June 8, 2014 5:17:21 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Ethan Furman  wrote:
> > I don't remember if I almost had this in real code or if I learned about it
> > first, but it can definitely be a gotcha. It seems to me that if the try
> > block exits with an explicit return, and then the finally block exits with
> > an explicit return, some kind of error ought to be raised.

> I'd go a little simpler: A return statement inside a finally block is
> code smell.

Some people¹ think that gotos are a code-smell.

And since both return and exceptions are thinly veiled gotos, what we
have here are two smells outsmelling each other.

¹ I am not exactly those people.
A chap called E W Dijkstra made the statement: "Goto statement considered
harmful" and became famous.
The chap who taught me programming said to me: "What the goto does to
control structure, the assignment does to data structure"
He did not become famous.
However in my view he made the more intelligent statement