I am mentoring a GSOC student, Saimadhav Heblikar, who is working on adding the following feature to Idle: submit the editor text to an external program, such as pyflakes, and display the result in an OutputWindow. If it reports line numbers with problems, as pyflakes does, users will be able to jump to the line in the file (this exists already for multiple-file grep output).

The 'obvious' implementation is to use subprocess.Open.communicate to run the process and capture the output. The prototype code at http://bugs.python.org/issue21880 works on linux. The key part of the new code at http://bugs.python.org/file35819/3rdpartychecker-v2.diff is

+from subprocess import Popen, PIPE
+            proc = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
+            proc.wait()
+ output, error = map(lambda b:b.decode('utf-8'), proc.communicate())

It does not work on Windows. As I reported on http://bugs.python.org/issue8631, msg222053,
>>> subprocess.check_output("pyflakes -h")
works in the interpreter and Idle shell, while
>>> s.check_output("pyflakes c:\programs\python34\lib\turtle.py")
gives bizarre output in the interpreter and hangs in the idle shell, as does the code above.

My question is whether anyone reading that has had success getting subprocess output capture to work consistently on Windows?

--
Terry Jan Reedy