On 2014-07-05 19:57, Ian Kelly wrote:
On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Strangly, I rather fancy the idea of using tabs in code,,,
which allow each viewer to view the code in his or her level
of indention,,, however, i cannot justify using a tab as a
replacement for a space. Tabs should be used for "tabular"
data (aka: speadsheets), and since code is NOT tabular data,
we would be wise to use the space char for indention.

I find it a little curious that nobody ever seems to advocate the use
of vertical tabs instead of repeated newlines. It should offer the
same benefit as horizontal tabs, namely that one could then
independently configure one's editor to separate adjacent code
elements with the desired number of blank lines. But I suppose that
nobody finds that useful enough to bother with in the vertical case.

I do see the occasional person using form feeds to separate sections of code.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco