Given the ongoing hub-bub about Google Groups and some recent long threads where I *really* wanted to be able to mute/ignore certain individuals/subjects... I started looking into other choices for Usenet reader software again. I use news.gmane.org as a mail2news gateway for reading a lot of lists besides just this one, and gmane is about the most convenient way to do so without being bombarded by emails every day.

I'm on Ubuntu (14.04 LTS, if it matters) and I've been using Thunderbird for a loooong time... I've tinkered with slrn off and on over the years, tried pan occasionally due to recommendations... but I keep ending up back @ Thunderbird. About the only thing it doesn't do that I really want is scoring/kill-files. Slrn has those, and I do use vim on occasion so that worked well enough... but when people *do* post links or html it didn't handle that stuff gracefully like Thunderbird. Pan... locks up and crashes often enough to be annoying, and I can't get it to display 'Threads with Unread' (i.e. new unread posts *with* their associated threads for context) - just 'Unread' or 'everything'. Never messed with gnus... emacs was never really my thing.

Guess where I'm going with this is... is there anything out there worth trying - on Linux - that I'm missing?