On 7/19/2014 6:50 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:

[A missed point from my last reply...]

Terry Reedy said:
I believe there is a proposal to be able to clear the
shell window. We just need to add "Clear and restart
shell".

     # In order to prevent confusion with the typical "edit-    #
     # undo" of "CONTROL+Z", we should refer to the action of   #
     # "remove the last output displayed" as an "output-undo".  #

That would make implementation easier.

I think IDLE needs all three functionality of:

   1. Reset symbol tables *WHILST* retaining previous "shell
   IO" (Already exists via "Shell->Restart Shell")

   2. Reset symbol tables *AND* clear all "shell IO" (Maybe:
   "Shell->Reset Shell")

   3. Remove the displayed result of the *LAST* command
   processed. (Maybe: "Shell->Remove Last Output")

Hotkeys for all three are a must

I consider them a nicety. We will eventually run out of simple hot keys.

and should be configurable by the user.

I believe anything Idle controls is.

There is also an idea to put help output in an
output window.

In the new issue, I said 'move the last output' from the shell to a window, so it would be entirely optional.

I believe more windows just creates more confusion for the
user.

I expect to eventually look at G.Polo's patch for using tabbed notebooks, which will help with this.

--
Terry Jan Reedy