On 7/23/2014 6:43 AM, Saimadhav Heblikar wrote:
Hi,

The example in question is
https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#example-hello-world-coroutine.
I'd like to learn the purpose of the statement
"yield from asyncio.sleep(2)" in that example.

In particular, I'd like to know if asyncio.sleep() is used as a
substitute for slow/time consuming operation, i.e. in real code,
whether there will be a real time consuming statement in place of
asyncio.sleep().

The context is
    while True:
        print('Hello')
        yield from asyncio.sleep(3)

sleep is both itself, to shown to schedule something at intervals in a non-blocking fashion, as well as a placefiller. The blocking equivalent would use 'time' instead of 'yield from asyncio'. The following shows the non-blocking feature a bit better.

import asyncio

@asyncio.coroutine
def hello():
    while True:
        print('Hello')
        yield from asyncio.sleep(3)

@asyncio.coroutine
def goodbye():
    while True:
        print('Goodbye')
        yield from asyncio.sleep(5.01)

@asyncio.coroutine
def world():
    while True:
        print('World')
        yield from asyncio.sleep(2.02)

loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
loop.run_until_complete(asyncio.wait([hello(), goodbye(), world()]))

Getting the same time behavior in a while...sleep loop requires reproducing some of the calculation and queue manipulation included in the event loop.

--
Terry Jan Reedy