On 8/6/2014 9:47 AM, beliav...@aol.com.dmarc.invalid wrote:

Fortran compiler vendors such as Intel, IBM, Oracle/SUN and open

*Vendors* sell compilers for money, which they can then use to *pay* people to do unfun stuff that volunteers don't want and should not have to do.

Actually, I am beginning to think that 2.7 should be split off for 3.x development and charged for.

source projects such as gfortran are updating their compilers to the
Fortran 2003 and 2008 standards while also keeping the ability to
compile all the old Fortran code. FORTRAN 77 programmers and programs

According to https://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ , gfortran is a standard Fortran 95 compiler with legacy (F77) support where practical and 'significant' F2003 and F2008 support. Since it is free, one takes what one gets.

In multiple ways, Gfortran, as a whole, is significantly simpler to develop than Python. It is an alternate front end to the gcc compiler (a very smart decision). The GNU projects distributes source code, which I presume consists of C code aimed at the GCC compiler.

will not be forced to move to modern Fortran, but I'm not sure that
Python 2.x users can be as confident that Python 2.x will be
supported on future operating systems.

It will be for as long as 2.x users are willing to pay for support.

--
Terry Jan Reedy