On 2014-08-17, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> A blog from Nick Coghlan
> http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html that
> should help put a few minds to rest.

I agree with the comments that the appellation for "simply the next
version after 3.9" should be 3.10 and not 4.0.  Everybody I know
considers SW versions numbers to be dot-separated tuples, not
floating point numbers.

To all of us out here in user-land a change in the first value in the
version tuple means breakage and incompatibilities. And when the
second value is "0", you avoid it until some other sucker has found
the bugs and a few more minor releases have come out.

I don't think one (or several) blog posts is going to change the
perceptions and expectations that have been coditioned into us by
decades of experience with x.0 versions of countless software
packages. If it's just another in a a series of incremental "bug fix
and minor enhancements without breaking backwards incompatibility"
releases, you simply do not call it vers x.0.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Bo Derek ruined
                                  at               my life!