On 08/24/2014 08:38 AM, Cleo Drakos wrote:

Here is IDL code:

|pro read_binary_file

file=  "3B42RT.2014010318.7.bin"

num_lon=  1440
num_lat=  480

data=  {header:  bytarr(num_lon*2),  precip:  intarr(num_lon,num_lat),
precip_error:  intarr(num_lon,num_lat),  $
       source_of_estimate:  bytarr(num_lon,num_lat),  precip_uncal:
intarr(num_lon,num_lat)}

close,  1
openr,  1,  file
readu,  1,  data
close, 1 precip= swap_endian(data.precip)

print,  precip
end|

My attempt in Python is here:

|fname=  '3B42RT.2014010318.7.bin'

num_lon=  1440
num_lat=  480

with  open(fname,  'rb')  as  fi:
     contents=  fi.read()
     precip=  struct.unpack_from('>'+str(num_lon*num_lat)+'I',  contents,
offset=  num_lon*2)

     precip=  np.array(data,dtype=int)
     precip data|

But, the results obtained from two codes above are not same. The IDL code is correct, but what is wrong with my python code?

You are not giving us much to go on here.

First that's not legal Python . The |last line was probably meant to be a print|||, but if you expect us to examine your code, you absolutely *must* give us the actual code. Please cut and paste.

Second, saying it doesn't work us useless. Please tell us what the code is supposed to do, and what it actually does, what you expected... If there is output, cut and paste it. If there is an error traceback, cut and paste it.

While you are at it, tell us what the IDL code does and cut and paste it's output.

Gary Herron

Here is binary file I was working with:ftp://trmmopen.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/merged/3B42RT/3B42RT.2014010318.7.bin.gz

cleo