In article <mailman.13623.1409351910.18130.python-l...@python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> > Speaking of suckitude, we could classify technologies that way:
> >
> > xml: major suckitude
> >
> > rpc: no suckitude
> >
> > python: negative suckitude
>
> I disagree with your last two qualifications. RPC still sucks, just
> not as much as some things do.

Are we talking the generic concept of Remote Procedure Calls, or the
specific implementation of Sun RPC?

I'm surprised at the reaction to the word, as if it were something new.
I thought the term has been in common parlance for many years.  Contrast
with winitude.

Anyway, I think it is unfair to describe xml as major suckitude.  True,
it is somewhat outdated, with more modern alternatives such as JSON,
YAML, protobuffers, etc.  In its day, however, it was a breakthrough
technology, even if only an incremental outgrowth of SGML.